Ranked awesome lists, all in one place
This list is a copy of n1trux/awesome-sysadmin with ranks
Awesome Sysadmin ★87749
- Awesome Sysadmin
- Build and software organization tools
- Client Management
- Cloud Computing
- Cloud Orchestration
- Cloud Storage: see awesome-selfhosted#file-transfersynchronization ★23931
- Code Review
- Collaborative Software
- Configuration Management Database
- Configuration Management
- Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment
- Control Panels
- Deployment Automation
- Distributed Filesystems
- Identity Management
- IT Asset Management
- Log Management
- Mail Clients
- Mail servers/webmail: see awesome-selfhosted#email ★23931
- Metric & Metric Collection
- Network Configuration Management
- Project Management
- Remote Management
- Security: see awesome-security
- Service Discovery
- Software Containers
- SSH: see awesome-ssh
- Statistics: see awesome-selfhosted#analytics ★23931
- Status Pages
- Ticketing systems: see awesome-selfhosted#ticketing ★23931
- Version control
- XMPP: see awesome-selfhosted#xmpp ★23931
- Wiki Software: see awesome-selfhosted#wikis ★23931, Sysadmin Wikis: see #wikis
- Apache Ant - Automation build tool, similar to make, written in Java.
- Apache Maven - Build automation tool mainly for Java.
- Bazel - Google’s build system.
- GNU Make - The most popular automation build tool for many purposes.
- Gradle - Another build automation system.
- Rake ★1313 - Build automation tool similar to Make, written in and extensible in Ruby.
- Amanda - Client-server model backup tool.
- Bareos - A fork of Bacula backup tool.
- BackupPC - BackupPC is a high-performance system for backing up to disk.
- Backupninja - Lightweight, extensible meta-backup system.
- Barman - Backup and Recovery Manager for disaster recovery of PostgreSQL servers.
- BorgBackup ★3685 - A fork of Attic deduplicating backup program written in Python.
- Burp - Network backup and restore program.
- Duplicity - Encrypted bandwidth-efficient backup using the rsync algorithm.
- Elkarbackup ★135 - Backup solution based on RSnapshot with a simple web interface
- Lsyncd ★2926 - File Monitor which spawns a process to synchronize the changes (rsync by default).
- rclone - a command line program to sync files and directories to and from several cloud storage systems/providers.
- Rdiff-backup - An easy A remote incremental backup of all your files.
- Rsnapshot - Filesystem Snapshotting Utility.
- Shield ★178 - A pluggable architecture for backup and restore of database systems.
- Snebu – Snapshot backup with global multi-client deduplication and transparent compression.
- UrBackup - Another client-server backup system.
- DREBS ★34 ⏳3Y - AWS EBS backup script that supports strategies.
- ZBackup - A versatile deduplicating backup tool.
Build and software organization tools
Build and software organization tools.
- EasyBuild - EasyBuild builds software and modulefiles for High Performance Computing (HPC) systems in an efficient way.
- environment-modules Lmod - Lmod is a Lua based module system that easily handles the MODULEPATH Hierarchical problem.
- HPCBIOS - HPCBIOS is an effort to setup a common, well-documented and reproducible, environment spanning across multiple HPC systems & sites, inclusive of documentation.
Conversation-driven development and management. See https://www.reddit.com/r/chatops for more information.
- CloudBot ★238 - The simple, fast, expandable Python IRC bot.
- Eggdrop - the world’s most popular IRC bot, designed for flexibility and ease of use, and is freely distributable under the GNU GPL.
- Err - a plugin based chatbot designed to be easily deployable, extensible and maintainable.
- Hubot - A customizable, life embetterment robot.
- Lazlo ★126 ⏳2Y - A chatops automation framework in Go.
- Lita - A robot companion for your company’s chat room.
- Abot - A digital assistant framework in Go.
Managing software on desktop computers.
- Chocolatey – Windows CLI package manager written in .NET/PS, based on NuGet.
- just-install – Python script for downloading and silently installing MSI files.
- OCS Inventory NG - Inventory, deployment and network scan.
- Opsi (open PC server integration) - Client Management for Windows based on Debian.
- WAPT - Network-wide (un)installation, configuration and upgrades of Windows based software.
- WPKG - Software deployment, upgrade and removal program for Windows.
- AppScale ★2332 - Cloud software with Google App Engine compatibility.
- Archipel - Manage and supervise virtual machines using Libvirt.
- CloudStack - Cloud computing software for creating, managing, and deploying infrastructure cloud services.
- Cobbler - Cobbler is a Linux installation server that allows for rapid setup of network installation environments.
- Cracow Cloud One - Polish Private Cloud - The CC1 system provides a complete solution for Private Cloud Computing.
- HPE Helion Eucalyptus - Private cloud software with AWS compatibility.
- Flynn - PaaS
- Mesos - Develop and run resource-efficient distributed systems.
- OpenNebula - User-driven cloud management platform for sysadmins and devops.
- Openshift - PaaS product from Red Hat.
- OpenStack - Build private and public clouds.
- The Foreman - Complete lifecycle management tool for physical and virtual servers. FOSS.
- Tsuru - Tsuru is an extensible Platform as a Service software.
- BOSH - IaaS orchestration platform originally written for deploying and managing Cloud Foundry PaaS, but also useful for general purpose distributed systems.
- Cloud Foundry - A Platform-as-a-Service suite to provide the orchestration services that make distributed apps a powerhouse of awesomeness.
- Cloudify - TOSCA-based cloud orchestration software platform written in Python and YAML.
- CloudSlang - Flow-based orchestration tool for managing deployed applications, with Docker capabilities.
- Genesis ★39 - A template framework for multi-environment BOSH deployments.
- Juju - Cloud orchestration tool which manages services as charms, YAML configuration and deployment script bundles.
- Kubernetes - Orchestration system for Docker containers - (Source Code ★38089, Documentation)
- MCollective - Ruby framework to manage server orchestration, developed by Puppet labs.
- Overcast - Deploy VMs across different cloud providers, and run commands and scripts across any or all of them in parallel via SSH.
- Rundeck - Simple orchestration tool.
- Salt - Fast, scalable and flexible systems management software written in Python/ZeroMQ.
- Spruce - A tool that merges separate YAML files into one. Works well with Genesis ★39.
- StackStorm - Event Driven Operations and ChatOps platform for infrastructure management. Written in Python.
- Terraform - Terraform works with many cloud providers and creates infrastructure from code.
Web Based collaborative code review system.
- Gerrit - Based on the Git version control, it facilitates software developers to review modifications to the source code and approve or reject those changes.
- Phabricator - Code review tool build by facebook and used by WikiMedia, FB, dropbox etc. Comes with an integrated wiki, bug tracker, VC integration and a CLI tool called arcanist.
- Review Board - Available as free software under the MIT License.
Collaborative software or groupware suites.
- Citadel/UX - Collaboration suite (messaging and groupware) that is descended from the Citadel family of programs.
- EGroupware - Groupware software written in PHP.
- Horde Groupware - PHP based collaborative software suite that includes email, calendars, wikis, time tracking and file management.
- Kolab - Another groupware suite.
- SOGo - Collaborative software server with a focus on simplicity and scalability.
Configuration Management Database
Configuration management database (CMDB) software.
- i-doit - IT Documentation and CMDB.
- iTop - Complete ITIL web based service management tool.
- Ralph ★860 - Asset management, DCIM and CMDB system for large Data Centers as well as smaller LAN networks.
- Clusto ★242 ⏳1Y - Helps you keep track of your inventory, where it is, how it’s connected, and provides an abstracted interface for interacting with the elements of the infrastructure.
- Collins - At Tumblr, it’s the infrastructure source of truth and knowledge.
- netbox ★3804 - IP address management (IPAM) and data center infrastructure management (DCIM) tool
Configuration management tools.
- Ansible - It’s written in Python and manages the nodes over SSH.
- CFEngine - Lightweight agent system. Configuration state is specified via a declarative language.
- Chef - It’s written in Ruby and Erlang and uses a pure-Ruby DSL.
- Pallet - Infrastructure definition, configuration and management via a Clojure DSL.
- Puppet - It’s written in Ruby and uses Puppet’s declarative language or a Ruby DSL.
- Salt - It’s written in Python.
- Slaughter - It’s written in Perl.
Continuous Integration & Continuous Deployment
Continuous integration/deployment software.
- Buildbot - Python-based toolkit for continuous integration.
- CapsuleCD ★51 - CD script for automating package/library releases (npm, cookbooks, gems, pip, jars, etc).
- concourse - A modern tool to gain visibility on the CI/CD pipeline. The flexible, declarative DSL is easy to learn and powerful to use.
- Drone ★14753 - Continuous integration server built on Docker and configured using YAML files.
- GitLab CI - Based off of ruby. They also provide GitLab, which manages git repositories.
- Go - Continuous delivery server.
- Jenkins - An extendable continuous integration server.
Web hosting and server or service control panels.
- Web hosting
- Atomia DNS - DNS management system.
- nsedit ★141 - nsedit is a DNS editor for PowerDNS, working with PowerDNS’s new API.
- PDNS Gui ★18 ⏳2Y - WebGUI which aids in administering domains and records for PowerDNS with MySQL.
- Pi-hole - A blackhole for Internet Advertisements with a gui for managing and monitoring
- Poweradmin - Friendly web-based DNS administration tool for PowerDNS server.
- Revision Control
Tools and scripts to support deployments to your servers.
- Capistrano - Deploy your application to any number of machines simultaneously, in sequence or as a rolling set via SSH (rake based).
- Fabric - Python library and cli tool for streamlining the use of SSH for application deployment or systems administration tasks.
- Mina - Really fast deployer and server automation tool (rake based).
- munki - Webserver-based repository of packages and package metadata, that allows macOS administrators to manage software installs.
- Rocketeer - PHP task runner and deployment tool.
- sup ★1744 - Super simple deployment tool - just Unix - think of it like ‘make’ for a network of servers.
- Vlad the Deployer ★346 ⏳2Y - Deployment automation (rake based).
Network distributed filesystems.
- Camlistore - A set of open source formats, protocols, and software for modeling, storing, searching, sharing and synchronizing data.
- Ceph - Distributed object store and file system.
- DRBD - Distributed Replicated Block Device.
- LeoFS - Unstructured object/data storage and a highly available, distributed, eventually consistent storage system.
- GlusterFS - Scale-out network-attached storage file system.
- Go IPFS ★5772 - Implementation of IPFS, a global, versioned, peer-to-peer filesystem that seeks to connect all computing devices with the same system of files.
- HDFS - Distributed, scalable, and portable file-system written in Java for the Hadoop framework.
- Lustre - Parallel distributed file system, generally used for large-scale cluster computing.
- MooseFS - Fault tolerant, network distributed file system.
- MogileFS - Application level, network distributed file system.
- OpenAFS - Distributed network file system with read-only replicas and multi-OS support.
- Ori Filesystem - A Secure Distributed File System built for offline operation.
- Swift - A highly available, distributed, eventually consistent object/blob store.
- SheepDog - A distributed Blockdevice, Rest, QEMU and distributed Filesystem storage.
- TahoeLAFS - secure, decentralized, fault-tolerant, peer-to-peer distributed data store and distributed file system.
- XtreemFS - XtreemFS is a fault-tolerant distributed file system for all storage needs.
- Bind - The most widely used name server software.
- djbdns - A collection of DNS applications, including tinydns.
- Designate - DNS REST API that support several DNS servers as its backend.
- dnsmasq - A lightweight service providing DNS, DHCP and TFTP services to small-scale networks.
- Knot - High performance authoritative-only DNS server.
- NSD - Authoritative only, high performance, simple name server.
- PowerDNS - DNS server with a variety of data storage back-ends and load balancing features.
- Unbound - Validating, recursive, and caching DNS resolver.
- Yadifa - Lightweight authoritative Name Server with DNSSEC capabilities powering the .eu top-level domain.
- DomainMOD - Manage your domains and other internet assets in a central location.
Open source code editors.
- Atom - A hackable text editor from Github.
- Brackets - Code editor for web designers and front-end developers.
- Eclipse - IDE written in Java with an extensible plug-in system.
- Geany - GTK2 text editor.
- GNU Emacs - An extensible, customizable text editor-and more.
- Haroopad - Markdown editor with live preview.
- ICEcoder - Code editor awesomeness, built with common web languages.
- jotgit ★187 ⏳4Y - Git-backed real-time collaborative code editing.
- KDevelop - IDE by the people behind KDE.
- Light Table - The next generation code editor.
- Lime - Aims to provide an open source solution to Sublime Text
- Notepad++ - GPLv2 multi-language editor with syntax highlighting for Windows.
- TextMate ★11677 - A graphical text editor for OS X.
- Vim - A highly configurable text editor built to enable efficient editing.
- Visual Studio Code - An open source cross-platform extensible code editor from Microsoft
- Nano - Easy to use, customizable text editor.
LDAP servers and other tools to manage accounts and identities.
- 389 Directory Server - Developed by Red Hat.
- Apache Directory Server - Apache Software Foundation project written in Java.
- FreeRADIUS - High performance and highly configurable multi-protocol policy/authentication server, supporting RADIUS, DHCPv4 and VMPS.
- OpenDJ - Fork of OpenDS.
- OpenDS - Another directory server written in Java.
- OpenLDAP - Developed by the OpenLDAP Project.
- FreeIPA - Based on 389-DS. Includes Kerberos, DNS, as well as host based access control.
Tools and web interfaces
- Fusion Directory - Improve the Management of the services and the company directory based on OpenLDAP.
- Indieauth - Sign in with your domain name (using the rel-me-auth protocol).
- Libravatar - Libravatar is a service which delivers your avatar (profile picture) to other websites.
- LDAP Account Manager (LAM) - Web frontend for managing entries (e.g. users, groups, DHCP settings) stored in an LDAP directory.
- OpenID - A Simple Identity layer on top of OAuth 2.0.
- OSIAM - Secure identity management solution providing REST based services for authentication and authorization.
- Samba – Active Directory and CIFS protocol implementation.
- BounCA - A personal SSL Key / Certificate Authority web-based tool for creating self-signed certificates.
IT Asset Management
IT Assets Management software.
- GLPI - Information Resource-Manager with an additional Administration Interface.
- OCS Inventory NG - Enables users to inventory their IT assets.
- OPSI - Hardware and software inventory, deployment, and patching for Linux and Windows.
- RackTables - Datacenter and server room asset management like document hardware assets, network addresses, space in racks, networks configuration.
- Ralph ★860 - Asset management, DCIM and CMDB system for large Data Centers as well as smaller LAN networks.
- Snipe IT - Asset & license management software.
Log management tools: collect, parse, visualize …
- Elasticsearch - A Lucene Based Document store mainly used for log indexing, storage and analysis.
- Fluentd - Log Collector and Shipper.
- Flume - Distributed log collection and aggregation system.
- GoAccess - Real-time web log analyzer and interactive viewer that runs in a terminal or through the browser. (Source Code ★6974)
- Graylog - Pluggable Log and Event Analysis Server with Alerting options.
- Hindsight - Stream processing system which may be used for log aggregation (Replaces Heka).
- Kibana - Visualize logs and time-stamped data.
- Logstash - Tool for managing events and logs.
- Octopussy - Log Management Solution (Visualize / Alert / Report).
- Claws Mail - Old school email client (and news reader), based on GTK+.
- ImapSync – Simple IMAP migration tool for copying mailboxes to other servers.
- Mutt - Small but very powerful text-based mail client.
- Nylas Mail - Extensible mail client.
- Sylpheed – Still developed predecessor to Claws Mail, lightweight mail client.
- Thunderbird - Free email application that’s easy to set up and customize.
- Adagios - Web based Nagios interface for configuration and monitoring (replacement to the standard interface), and a REST interface, SourceCode ★279, Documentation)
- Alerta - Distributed, scaleable and flexible monitoring system.
- Bloonix - Bloonix is a monitoring solution that helps businesses to ensure high availability and performance.
- bolo - A Do-it-Yourself monitoring framework built to gather metrics, mine data and report on the systems in your network.
- Bosun - Monitoring and alerting system by Stack Exchange (Source Code ★2558, Documentation)
- Cacti - Web-based network monitoring and graphing tool.
- Cabot - Monitoring and alerts, similar to PagerDuty.
- cadvisor - Analyzes resource usage and performance characteristics of running containers (Source Code ★7473)
- check_mk - Collection of extensions for Nagios.
- Dash ★8353 - A low-overhead monitoring web dashboard for a GNU/Linux machine.
- ElastiFlow ★363 - Network flow Monitoring (Netflow, sFlow and IPFIX) with the Elastic Stack.
- eZ Server Monitor - A lightweight and simple dashboard monitor for Linux, available in Web and Bash application.
- Flapjack - Monitoring notification routing & event processing system.
- Healthchecks - Monitoring for cron jobs, background services and scheduled tasks.
- Icinga - Nagios fork that has since lapped nagios several times. Comes with the possibility of clustered monitoring - (Source Code) -
- LibreNMS - Fully featured network monitoring system that provides a wealth of features and device support.
- Monit - Small utility for managing and monitoring Unix systems.
- Munin - Networked resource monitoring tool.
- Naemon - Network monitoring tool based on the Nagios 4 core with performance enhancements and new features.
- Nagios - Computer system, network and infrastructure monitoring software application.
- Observium - SNMP monitoring for servers and networking devices. Runs on linux.
- OMD - The Open Monitoring Distribution.
- Performance Co-Pilot - Lightweight, distributed system performance and analysis framework.
- PhpSysInfo - A customizable PHP script that displays information about your system nicely.
- PHP Server Monitor - Open source tool to monitor your servers and websites
- psdash ★2117 - A linux system information web dashboard using psut ils and flask.
- pyDash - Small web-based monitoring dashboard for linux.
- Riemann - Flexible and fast events processor allowing complex events/metrics analysis.
- rtop ★1663 - an interactive, remote system monitoring tool based on SSH.
- Sensu - Monitoring framework.
- ServerStatus BotoX ★342 - Display and monitor your servers statistics in a beatiful way.
- ServerStatus moejda ★296 ⏳1Y - Server Status website script, displays uptime (days), free RAM, free HDD
- Shinken - Another monitoring framework.
- SWMP - Server Web Monitor Page - A responsive, eye-pleasing Linux server statistics dashboard.(Source Code ★221)
- Thruk - Multibackend monitoring web interface with support for Naemon, Nagios, Icinga and Shinken.
- Uchiwa - Simple dashboard for sensu.
- Vector ★2745 - An on-host performance monitoring framework.
- Xymon - Network monitoring inspired by Big Brother.
- Zabbix - Enterprise-class software for monitoring of networks and applications.
- Zenoss - Application, server, and network management platform based on Zope.
Metric & Metric Collection
Metric gathering and display software.
- Collectors only
- Diamond ★1228 ⏳1Y - Python based statistic collection daemon.
- Collectd - System statistic collection daemon.
- Collectl - High precision system performance metrics collecting tool.
- PGObserver ★251 - Monitoring solution for PostgreSQL databases that also works with AWS RDS.
- Statsd ★12972 - Application statistic listener.
- tcollector - System statistic collection daemon written in Python for OpenTSDB
- Grafana - A Graphite & InfluxDB Dashboard and Graph Editor.
- Ganglia - High performance, scalable RRD based monitoring for grids and/or clusters of servers. Compatible with Graphite using a single collection process.
- RRDtool - Industry standard, high performance data logging and graphing system for time series data.
- Dashing - Ruby gem that allows for rapid statistical dashboard development. An all HTML5 approach allows for big screen displays in data centers or conference rooms.
- Facette - Time series data visualization and graphing software written in Go.
- Freeboard ★5201 - A damn-sexy front-end real-time dashboard for the internet of things. Transforms raw JSON into delicious UI.
- Netdata - Real-time performance monitoring for Linux systems with plugin support.
Network Configuration Management
Network configuration management tools.
- GestióIP - An automated web based IPv4/IPv6 IP Address Management tool.
- GNS3 - Graphical network simulator that provides a variety of virtual appliances - (Source Code ★700, Documentation) -
- Oxidized ★851 - A modern take on network device configuration monitoring with web interface and GIT storage.
- phpIPAM - Open source IP address management with PowerDNS integration.
- RANCID - Monitors network device’s configuration and maintain history of changes.
- rConfig - Another network device configuration management tool.
- trigger ★426 - Robust network automation toolkit written in Python.
- DadaMail - Mailing List Manager, written in Perl.
- phpList - Newsletter manager written in PHP.
- LibreMailer ★18 ⏳3Y - Libre Mailer is a modest and simple web based email marketing application.
- Lewsnetter ★304 ⏳2Y - E-mail marketing application (create and send e-mail newsletter via SES). Includes subscription management, delivery, bounce and complaint notification, templates, and some stats.
- Document Store
- CouchDB - Ease of use, with multi-master replication document-oriented database system.
- ElasticSearch - Java based database, popular with log aggregation, and email archiving projects.
- MongoDB - Another document-oriented database system.
- RavenDB - Document based database with ACID/Transactional features.
- RethinkDB - Distributed document store database, focuses on JSON.
Comparison of NoSQL servers: http://kkovacs.eu/cassandra-vs-mongodb-vs-couchdb-vs-redis
- fpm ★8558 - Versatile multi format package creator.
- omnibus-ruby ★981 - Full stack, cross distro packaging software (Ruby).
- packman - Full stack, cross distro packaging software (Python).
- tito ★265 - Builds RPMs for git-based projects.
Web-based project management and bug tracking systems: see https://github.com/Kickball/awesome-selfhosted#project-management
- ActiveMQ - Java message broker.
- BeanstalkD - A simple, fast work queue.
- Gearman - Fast multi-language queuing/job processing platform.
- Kafka - Extremely high performance publish/subscribe message system.
- NSQ - A realtime distributed messaging platform.
- RabbitMQ - Robust, fully featured, cross distro queuing system.
- ZeroMQ - Lightweight queuing system.
- Firebird - True universal database.
- Galera - Galera Cluster for MySQL is an easy-to-use high-availability solution with high system up-time, no data loss, and scalability for future growth.
- MariaDB - Community-developed fork of the MySQL.
- Percona Server - Enhanced, drop-in MySQL replacement.
- PostgreSQL - Object-relational database management system (ORDBMS).
- PostgreSQL-XL - Scalable PostgreSQL-based database cluster.
- SQLite - Library that implements a self-contained, serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL DBS.
- Tiger VNC - TigerVNC is a high-performance, platform-neutral implementation of VNC (Virtual Network Computing), a client/server application that allows users to launch and interact with graphical applications on remote machines.
- Remmina - A Feature rich remote desktop application for linux and other unixes.
- X2go - X2Go is an open source remote desktop software for Linux that uses the NX technology protocol.
- rdpwrap ★3436 - RDP wrapper library allowing Remote Desktop Host support and concurrent RDP sessions on reduced functionality systems for home usage.
- Consul - Consul is a tool for service discovery, monitoring and configuration.
- Doozerd ★2995 ⏳2Y - Doozer is a highly-available, completely consistent store for small amounts of extremely important data.
- etcd ★18952 - distributed K/V-Store, authenticating via SSL PKI and a REST HTTP Api for shared configuration and service discovery.
- ZooKeeper - ZooKeeper is a centralized service for maintaining configuration information, naming, providing distributed synchronization, and providing group services.
Operating system–level virtualization.
- Docker - Platform for developers and sysadmins to build, ship, and run distributed applications.
- LXC - Userspace interface for the Linux kernel containment features.
- LXD – a container “hypervisor” and a better UX for LXC.
- OpenVZ - Container-based virtualization for Linux.
- Cachet - Status page system written in PHP.
- Stashboard - Status page for cloud services and APIs.
- System Status Dashboard (SSD) - Overview about an organization’s infrastructure health status.
- Staytus - Staytus is a complete solution for publishing the latest information about any issues with your web applications, networks or services.
- grml – bootable Debian Live CD with powerful CLI tools.
- mitmproxy - A Python tool used for intercepting, viewing and modifying network traffic. Invaluable in troubleshooting certain problems.
- mtr - Network utility that combines traceroute and ping.
- perf-tools ★4358 - Performance analysis tools based on Linux perf_events (aka perf) and ftrace.
- Sysdig - Capture system state and activity from a running Linux instance, then save, filter and analyze.
- Dripcap ★1546 - Caffeinated Packet Analyzer.
- Wireshark - The world’s foremost network protocol analyzer.
Software versioning and revision control.
- Fossil - Distributed version control with built-in wiki and bug tracking.
- Git - Distributed revision control and source code management (SCM) with an emphasis on speed.
- GNU Bazaar - Distributed revision control system sponsored by Canonical.
- Mercurial - Another distributed revision control.
- Subversion - Client-server revision control system.
- Archipel - XMPP based virtualization management platform.
- ConVirt - Provides the core functionality for centrally managing your KVM or Xen virtualized environment.
- Ganeti - Cluster virtual server management software tool built on top of KVM and Xen.
- KVM - Linux kernel virtualization infrastructure.
- OpenNebula - Flexible enterprise cloud made simple.
- OpenNode - Builds open-source infrastructure management software and implements cloud systems.
- oVirt - Manages virtual machines, storage and virtual networks.
- Packer - A tool for creating identical machine images for multiple platforms from a single source configuration.
- Proxmox VE - Virtualization management solution.
- QEMU - QEMU is a generic machine emulator and virtualizer.
- Vagrant - Tool for building complete development environments.
- VirtualBox - Virtualization product from Oracle Corporation.
- Xen - Virtual machine monitor for 32/64 bit Intel / AMD (IA 64) and PowerPC 970 architectures.
- XenServer - Turnkey virtualization platform based on CentOS distribution, using Xen and an extended toolstack/API.
- ocserv - Cisco AnyConnect-compatible VPN server
- OpenVPN - Uses a custom security protocol that utilizes SSL/TLS for key exchange.
- Pritunl - OpenVPN based solution. Easy to set up.
- SoftEther - Multi-protocol software VPN with advanced features
- sshuttle ★1831 - Poor man’s VPN.
- strongSwan - Complete IPsec implementation for Linux.
- tinc - Distributed p2p VPN.
- Algernon - Web/application server that supports Lua, live-reload, templates, Sass and HTTP/2.
- Apache - Most popular web server.
- Caddy - Lightweight, general-purpose web server supporting HTTP/2, automatic TLS and easy configuration. Written in Go.
- Cherokee - Lightweight, high-performance web server/reverse proxy.
- Hiawatha - Prioritises security, simplicity and performance.
- Lighttpd - Web server more optimized for speed-critical environments.
- Nginx - Reverse proxy, load balancer, HTTP cache, and web server.
- uWSGI ★2121 - The uWSGI project aims at developing a full stack for building hosting services.
- HAProxy - Software based load Balancing, SSL offloading and performance optimization, compression, and general web routing.
- Varnish - HTTP based web application accelerator focusing on optimizing caching and compression.
Various resources, such as books, websites and articles, for improving your skills and knowledge.
- Code as Craft - Etsy’s Ops blog, lots of technical posts.
- DevOpsGuys - Devops consultants who blog about operations.
- Rackspace Developers - Slightly biased blog with lots of Devops Topics.
- RoseHosting Blog - Linux tutorials for installing and configuring various software through the Linux command line. Guides and introductions to different Linux technologies and applications. Tips and tricks you can do via the Linux command line and more.
Sysadmin related books.
- Codex - How to deploy Cloud Foundry PaaS on infrastructures like AWS, OpenStack, Azure by Stark & Wayne, LLC.
- The Linux Command Line - A book about the Linux command line by William Shotts.
- The Phoenix Project: A Novel about IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win - How DevOps techniques can fix the problems that happen in IT organizations.
- The Practice of System and Network Administration - The first and second editions describes the best practices of system and network administration, independent of specific platforms or technologies.
- The Visible Ops Handbook: Implementing ITIL in 4 Practical and Auditable Steps - Is a methodology designed to jumpstart implementation of controls and process improvement.
- UNIX and Linux System Administration Handbook (ISBN-13: 978-0131480056) - Approaches system administration from a practical perspective.
Communities / Forums
For the social people.
- ArsTechnica OpenForum – IT Forum which is attached to a large news site.
- Reddit - Really, really large bulletin board system.
- Spiceworks Community – General enterprise IT news and small articles.
- StackExchange Network – Q&A communities.
- Server Fault – StackExchange community for system and network administrators.
- Servers for Hackers - Newsletter for programmers who find themselves needing to know their way around a server.
- Web Operations Weekly - A weekly newsletter on Web operations, infrastructure, performance, and tooling, from the browser down to the metal.
Software package repositories.
- AlternativeTo - Find alternatives to software you know and discover new software.
- Dotdeb - Repository with LAMP updated packages for Debian.
- ElRepo - Community Repo for Enterprise Linux (RHEL, CentOS, etc).
- EPEL - Repository for RHEL and compatibles (CentOS, Scientific Linux).
- IUS - Community project that provides RPM packages for newer versions of select software for Enterprise Linux distributions.
- Remi - Repository with LAMP updated packages for RHEL/Centos/Fedora.
- Software Collections - Community Release of Red Hat Software Collections. Provides updated packages of Ruby, Python, etc. for CentOS/Scientific Linux 6.x.
Useful sysadmin related websites.
- Awesome SysAdmin @ LibHunt - Your go-to SysAdmin Toolbox. Based on the list here.
- Ops School - Comprehensive program that will help you learn to be an operations engineer.
- Digital Ocean Tutorials - A surprisingly vast resource for getting the basics of certain applications, tools, or even systems administration topics.
Useful Wikis for Sysadmins – not to be confused with Wiki software.
- ArchWiki – Arch Linux Wiki which has really nice written articles valid for other distros.
- Gentoo Wiki - Gentoo Linux Wiki with a lot in-detail description of Linux components.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.
This list is a copy of n1trux/awesome-sysadmin with ranks